Saturday, August 20, 2011

The first day of the fifth year

Four years ago today I woke up on a futon at my friend's place to start my first full day in LA. I met my friend Ava the year prior at an Actor's Boot Camp at TVI Studios in Studio City, CA. I had taken a class at TVI in Chicago, when TVI had a place in Chicago, and learned of the boot camp. I met several people I still keep in touch with at that boot camp. In fact I spent the night at Ben's place in Albuquerque on the trip out here. Thanks Ava and Ben for helping me make my transition to LA.

In the three weeks I spent camping in Ava's living room I got started learning my way around. I bought a copy of the Thomas Guide, which I still have in my car. Now days, of course, I use Google maps to figure out where I'm going. I also started mailing out  headshots to find myself an agent and I got myself a P.O. box in Hollywood. Since Ava's landlord wasn't keen on me staying there too long I got on Craigslist and found a room in Glendale, CA. Prior to my finding a "Day Job" I did Background work on four TV shows just to have some money coming in. Luckily I got a job and things started looking up. I started taking classes, one of which was Improv at LA Connection Comedy, and I signed with my first LA Commercial agent. I stayed in Glendale for about seven months and moved to my first apartment in the Valley Village area of North Hollywood, which is still part of Los Angeles...I know, it's complicated.

These last four years haven't been easy. Shortly after I get here the Writer go on strike bringing the Entertainment Industry to a crawl followed by the threat of a SAG walk-out. Then the economy started heading down the tubes. Two months after I move into my first apartment I loose my job. I have to give up my apartment a few months later and rent a room from a neighbor. I get another job and my own place again only to loose that job a year later. I was out of work for 14 months before I got a contract earlier this year that lasted for four months. I am again looking for a day job and despite all that I've managed to persevere and move my acting career forward.

When I came to LA I had only one credit on my IMDb page and my raking was over a million. Just by being in LA a couple of months my ranking skyrocketed. I still don't have a good explanation for that. Today I have 12 credits and my ranking has improved over 950%. The number and quality of the auditions I been going on has improved and I've gotten good vibes from the auditors. It's just a matter of time before I book something big.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home